Tuesday, August 02, 2005

An update...

Let's start with a quick movie update: I've finally seen the new War of the Worlds movie last week, after also having seen the original. I liked both of them. I thought the new version was a really well done remake of the original. It stays very, very true to the original actually, although it in a way tells a different story. All the characters are new ones, and the situations are a bit different as well. But I have to say that I was really impressed with how the movie works as a completely new version, but still stays very true to the original version.

I've always been a fan of Steven Spielberg; I think he's a great director. I like how he's been doing very different types of movies over the years. I actually forgot to mention that the mini series I was talking about in my previous entry, was produced by Steven Spielberg. What made me realize that I didn't mention that was the fact that Joe Mallozzie brought it up in his blog over at GateWorld. He didn't bring up the fact that I didn't mention it, but he brought up the mini series with regard to the fact that it went up against SG-1 and Atlantis. But it was also on again on Saturdays as well as Sundays. I caught the episodes I saw on Sundays, so don't you worry, I haven't been betraying Stargate. Just for the record.

Anyway, I loved War of the Worlds. I've seen some various critics about it, but my personal opinion was that I thought it was a great movie. In a more technical review, I was particularly impressed with how some of the car scenes were shot. I liked how the camera kept moving 360 degrees around the car as it was driving; I thought that was a very original way of shooting a scene like that. You should know I always look at movies or television episodes from two point of views. One is the point of view of just an audience member, but then there's the part in me that looks at it as someone who's on his way into the film business; I carefully evaluate the directing, the writing, the acting, the camera work...everything! Naturally I hardly get a chance to really give people my in depth professional review, because most people are actually more interested in was it good or not? Every now and then I give people my in depth analysis anyway. People who know me have learned to life with that; that's the way it is if you're dealing with someone who's a writer himself. So every now and then I explain why I thought a particular script was good, or why I might have thought it could have benefited from some rewriting. Always very carefully examining other people's work. Now I won't include spoilers of course, but as I said, it's a different movie, but very true to the original. The original is pretty impressive in terms of visual effects, considering it's from 1953. No effects like today...okay, nothing at all like today, but considering the time it was made in, I imagine that was one huge visual effects movie back then.

Well, some of you might already know, our new recurring character has finally been announced today: Zach Hoffmann, with two f's and two n's. He doesn't like people getting that wrong. Pretty soon the DC mystery should be unveiled as well. But from the hints that are out there, you're probably already assuming what his role might be. Come on, I know some of you have to suspect it. We've "cast" Dennis Haysbert; he's played the President of the United States on 24. We're not going to just give him a small secondary part now. That wouldn't be right. Suffice it to say he'll be a very important character on Horizon.

I've finished my revised version of "Condition One" which I've renamed "A Time To Survive". Not sure if it'll be the final title, but it's likely since it connects the episode so nicely to part one, which is of course called "A Time To Rise". So it's about rising, as well as about surviving. "Providence" is making some nice progress. Erik is now working on a revised draft after I've handed in some notes. A new writer has joined the staff; her name is Marian, and she is already busy at work on an episode idea she's pitched. Then we've got a 3D artist on the team now, and we call him Vinny, which is derived from his actual name. He's doing some great work. I'll be getting some more descriptions over to him later today, and then he'll start working on designing the Horizon interiors, before getting into the more episode specific designs. And, hey, we've got a look for Horizon. It was designed by another great 3D talent by the name of Andrew. I think it looks pretty amazing, and it's not even finished yet.

Tomorrow I'll have to talk to Joe about "Disconnected". There are some story points he came up with, and some ideas I came up with, and we definitely have to get the final version of the outline done. The way it looks, this episode might introduce yet another recurring character. A character that will add a bit more conflict to the show actually, because he's got a bit of a different opinion on how things should be handled. Thursday we'll have a story meeting, and we'll have to get the final points of "Troika" worked out. Then Sam should be all set to write the script.

Now I'm off to lunch (late lunch), then I'll go over the new draft of "A Time To Survive" before turning it in. I'll also have to talk to Magnus about a possible upcoming musical theme, and I'll have to get to doing a new podcast. I've been informed that otherwise a riot might be just around the corner.

New episodes of SG-1 and Atlantis were again great. SG-1 has a lot of potential for future developments there; Atlantis just introduced its new cast regular, Ronon Dex, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. Naturally I'm still very much busy with re-watching Season Four of 24. Haven't seen an episode since last week; that's extremely long. Boy, in fact, that's way too long. I think I might watch one tonight.

That's all for now. Until next time.

Alex

1 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Elite Anubis Guard said...

Nice spam there pal. Interesting stuff, I really enjoyed WotW myself and can't wait for the DVD!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home