Tuesday, April 10, 2007

April 10, 2007

The final seven episodes of Season Three will start hitting the screens this Thursday. And in many ways these episodes will also be concluding a chapter of the series. With all outlines done, and work on episode 23 in progress, I have to say when it's all said and done, it really does feel like an ending. To the extent of had this been the show's final season, I think these episodes would have made for a satisfying conclusion. However, since this is not the final season (far from it), this arc will be leading us into a Season Four, where we'll be doing some very interesting things. Not that what we've been doing so far hasn't been interesting. But it's safe to say, that there'll be a couple of surprises headed your way.

But to talk a little more about the seven episode arc, surprises is a good way of describing it. There's so many twists and turns that occur over the course of these seven episodes that we have to be careful to ensure things don't get a little confusing. Basically you think the story is headed in one direction, and suddenly something happens, and it's going in a completely different direction. One of these interesting turning points will bring about the return of some characters we haven't seen since Season One (now there's something to speculate about). We'll be picking up on a couple of things that haven't been really dealt with since the show's first season. And of course you could think we've forgotten about then, however... you'd be mistaken.

So, things will start off with "Omen." And a lot of the things that we learn in "Omen" about a potentially very dark future will basically be overshadowing all of the following episodes. It'll become about trying to prevent that future from ever becoming a reality. Will that mean that we'll finally find the Book of Nosah'trah? Could it mean that the Vorian/Kih'Andari war will come to an end? And what about the Enoly being after the Book? It's very much possible that we'll have answers to all of those questions at some point over the course of the next six weeks.

And in the midst of all these epic events, we'll also be dealing some more with our characters -- some of which will find themselves going through some rather dark and trying times. It's also very much possible that we'll see the return of Bay'lar (at some point between "Omen" and episode 24). In fact, there's tons of great guest characters that will pop up at one point or another. Oh yeah, and then there's that rumor that we may be loosing a regular cast member before the season ends. Hmmm. Can't really go into that at the moment.

Well, now that I may have given you something to speculate and/or discuss or perhaps look forward to, I'll talk a little about what exactly we're working on right now. Complete drafts are done up to "As The Storm Rises..." (the title couldn't be more fitting); "So Near the Darkness and the Night" should be done pretty soon. And I've started working on the first draft of episode 23 today.

And I'm happy to say that for the first time ever we're on such a great schedule that we'll have an actual production hiatus between the seasons. So I'm looking forward to taking a short break, recharging, finally getting started on a movie script I've been wanting to write, and then... we've got 24 all new episodes to come up with. And I think it's safe to say that we're all pretty excited about what we have planned for Season Four so far.

At the moment I'm sorry to say that we haven't got any designers on board. Unofficially, I guess we do, but it's been so long since we've heard from any of them that you could really say that they're not actually involved in the series. I'm still hoping to hear from at least one of them again, so who knows. But in any event, once this season wraps by the end of the month, I'll be putting some more time and effort into trying to get some active designers onto the team. The plan is to finally have an official design for Horizon by the time Season Four premieres. It's been almost three years now, after all.

I don't think too many people believe that we'll really be seeing any progress in the designing area, and I can't blame them (we've been promising it for years now). It's a little like a curse. There always seem to be a lot of people who are interested, but then they come to realize that this will actually require them to invenst some time into the project. And once they realize that, they all run like hell. At least, that's what it feels like. Of course, everyone has other things that require their attention. But my belief is that if you really want to do this, and if you enjoy working on a project like this, you'll be able to find at least some time for it.

Anyway. That's the current status on that. In the realm of DVD watchings, I've finished watching Season Four of Seinfeld, and I'll be picking up Season Five shortly. Currently working my way through Season One of The King of Queens, re-watching Season Nine of SG-1 (finally I'll get to see that one episode that I missed when it aired on TV), and am eagerly awaiting the return of SG-1 and Atlantis this Friday. I'm also greatly enjoying 24 this season (great as always), am planning to pick up Atlantis Season Two soon, which means I'll also finally get to see that one episode that I missed when it aired (it's the one that aired at the same night as that one SG-1 episode I haven't seen yet). And I was also happy to see that what I consider one of the great classic TV shows is finally finding it's way to DVD: Hawaii Five-0. I'm planning to pick up the first season soon. I haven't seen that show in ages, but I remember that I used to love it. So I'm looking forward to seeing it again soon. Interestingly just when I started thinking about it, it came out on DVD.

Well, now before I head off, here's a little something to take in:

I'll try and do podcasts for all episodes of the finale arc, starting with "Omen." I know, it's hard to believe. But rest assured, I will definitely try. And eventually... it'll happen. Eventually. But hopefully soon. Maybe this week. Maybe. We'll have to see. So stay tuned.

And now I'll conclude this blog with the revelation of the final two episode titles of Season Three. You gotta wonder, what will the title of the final episode be? And once you know, you gotta wonder what it's about. At least, you could wonder... if you choose to.

"A Matter of Faith" & "Rapture"

May the speculations begin!

Goodnight and good luck,
Alex

1 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex,

My name is ShaJuana, I'm contacting you because I recognized your lastname. My family name is Rubit out of Liberty,Texas. If you will contact me at scabarcas@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home